Saturday, March 5, 2011

Expand my garden or buy from a CSA...

I have been thinking about expanding my edible garden area this year.  In fact, I've been thinking about it so much that I already have a plan of how to lay it out and when to plant what.  (big surprise, right?)

But then I picked up a copy of Natural Awakenings magazine and found an article on buying locally.  I had NO IDEA that there was a farm offering the CSA program literally down the road from me!  I'm reading about this farm and what they offer and the thought hit me that I could get my local produce - farmed from less than 10 miles away - and free up my own time (that would have been spent in the garden) for other things.

For those of you reading this who live in Hendricks County, the farm is called Seldom Seen Farm and you can find them online if you click HERE

I also really like the idea of risk-sharing with a farm like this.  Hmmm, sounds like I've already made up my mind, doesn't it?

Now I guess I just have to decide what things I DO want to grow myself in my nice little 4 ft by 4 ft raised bed garden.  I used it as a Square Foot Garden last year, but could have optimized the space a little better.  I can also see what things Seldom Seen Farm is NOT going to produce that we really like to eat and let that be my guide. 
Wheels are turning...

1 comment:

  1. So funny...get out of my brain! Hahah...we are thinking of supplementing with a CSA this year as well. But I still want to grow tomatoes, potatoes, and herbs!!!

    ReplyDelete